TD Bank Group Newsroom
Calgarians say they'll buck-up at Stampede Centennial
TD Bank poll shows 49% plan to shell out up to $500 at greatest outdoor show on earth
CALGARY, June 28, 2012 /CNW/ - Long used as a barometer to measure the Calgary and Alberta economies, the Calgary Stampede Rangeland Derby Tarp Auction set an all-time record of $4,015,000 to mark the Centennial. And if that isn't enough to convince you the local economy is back in the saddle, a recent TD Bank poll of Calgarians who plan to attend this year's celebration showed 49 per cent say they will spend up to $500 during the 10-day celebration. In the same poll conducted last year, only 40 per cent said they would be spending the same amount. Of this, male respondents said they would spend more than female respondents (54% vs. 43%) and those aged 18-34 accounted for the largest proportion (71%).
The most common Stampede spends according to respondents are refreshments (61%) followed by event tickets (58%) like rodeo, party and concert tickets, family events (32%) casino and gambling (11%) and client or corporate hosting (7%).
Calgary's galloping economy:
- Calgary is the fastest growing major city in Canada. Between the 2006 and the 2011 census, its population boomed by 11%, almost twice as fast as 6% for Canada as a whole.
- Job creation in Calgary is also booming. Between May 2011 and May 2012, the number of jobs in the city grew 5%, compared to about 1% for Canada as a whole.
- As a result, the unemployment rate is about to settle below 5% for the first time since January 2009. In comparison, the national unemployment rate is 7.3%.
Don't bet the ranch:
While stampeding can lighten your wallet, it is possible to enjoy responsibly without compromising the fun. TD Bank offers tips to keep you from betting the ranch - or reaching your credit limit.
- Free family fun. There are many opportunities for free family entertainment during the 10 days, starting with the Stampede parade. Pick-up a program from the grounds, check official Calgary Stampede Value Deals or watch local entertainment listings for free shows and entertainment - both on, and off, the grounds.
- Ride the C-Train. It might sound like fun, but riding your favourite horse to the grounds is not recommended. Parking and taxis can add up if you make the trip several times so consider public transit. From Thursday, July 5th to Monday, July 16th the C-train operates 24 hours a day.
- Set an entertainment budget. Like any budget, decide in advance what you can afford to spend before heading out to an event - and stick to it. But make sure to have an emergency stash in your cowboy boots for that taxi ride home. OR take the train!
- Free food. Many businesses around the City offer free Stampede breakfasts hosted by the Stampede Caravan volunteer committee who have been putting on traditional Stampede breakfasts for over 85 years. Check out the Flapjack finder website to find out where the day's free pancakes will be.
- Coupons, coupons, coupons. Several local businesses have partnered with the Stampede to provide great deals and discounts. Visit the Calgary Stampede's Value Deals website for a complete list.
- Think cowboy thrifty. Many local consignment and thrift stores dust off their gently used cowboy duds around Stampede. Mix retro cowboy with new urban chic for a stylish Stampede ensemble.
About the poll
From June 22nd to June 23rd 2012 an online survey was conducted among 400 randomly selected Canadian adults who live in Calgary and who are also Angus Reid Forum panel members. The margin of error—which measures sampling variability—is +/- 4.9%, 19 times out of 20. The sample was balanced by gender. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.
About TD Bank Group
The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its subsidiaries are collectively known as TD Bank Group (TD). TD is the sixth largest bank in North America by branches and serves approximately 22 million customers in four key businesses operating in a number of locations in key financial centres around the globe: Canadian Personal and Commercial Banking, including TD Canada Trust and TD Auto Finance Canada; Wealth and Insurance, including TD Waterhouse, an investment in TD Ameritrade, and TD Insurance; U.S. Personal and Commercial Banking, including TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, and TD Auto Finance U.S.; and Wholesale Banking, including TD Securities. TD also ranks among the world's leading online financial services firms, with approximately 8 million online customers. TD had CDN$773 billion in assets on April 30, 2012.The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades under the symbol "TD" on the Toronto and New York Stock Exchanges
TD Bank Group
Get News Alerts by Email
Receive breaking news from TD Bank Group directly to your inbox.